Monday, May 01, 2006

Lately, I have been engrossed in an ongoing debate with a Creationist, an unapolagetic faith-based pontificator- a pious fortune cookie, if you will. Not only have I continuously attempted to defend my non-religious opinions, but I have included a reputable Neuro-Scientist in our forum. Normally, I have no urge to convince one out of his or her beliefs ( in that sense I am not an Educator) I only insist on defending my views when they are being jeered at by the smugness of glorified ignorance.

I think I have succeeded in my ability to ensconce the pity I feel for those who have sold their souls to the "clubs." In fact, until recently one's faith was not an issue to me. However, there is a devastating sickness I see all around me. Perhaps I cannot negate religious faith in the same factual manner as the Neuro-Scientist, but the essence of worship, the glorified idolization, the complaceny, the zombie-like /question- forbidden, ritualistic, superficiality of it all is nauseating.

I pointed out to the Creationist that ones faith is dependent upon their place of birth. Richard Dawkins puts it brilliantly: "If you have a faith, it is statistically overwhelmingly likely that it is the same faith as your parents and grandparents had. No doubt soaring cathedrals, stirring music, moving stories and parables, help a bit. But by far the most important variable determining your religion is the accident of birth. The convictions that you so passionately believe would have been a completely different, and largely contradictory, set of convictions, if only you had happened to be born in a different place. Epidemiology, not evidence."

Europe and America are mainly composed of Christians. Muslims occupy the Middle East, India is Hindu nad the vast majority of Buddhists originate from Asia. What a true illustration of human gullibility. How, with that in mind, can one honestly conclude that our views are unbiased and well- informed? Moreover, how do stable human beings live each day engolfed in their hallucination refusing to question beyond their promise to believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home